Battelle-EKU Science Scholars Program
SUMMER UNDERGRADUATE RESEARCH OPPORTUNITY
The purpose of the Battelle-EKU Science Scholars Program is to enrich learning in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) disciplines by increasing the opportunity for undergraduate students in the College of Science to obtain an undergraduate research experience.
Applications are invited from eligible students to apply for the 2018 summer program. Students from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
If selected as a Battelle-EKU Science Scholar, the College of Science will provide a Battelle stipend of $3,000 for the scholar to participate in a mentored student-faculty research collaboration during the summer of 2018.
To be eligible to apply, the applicant:
- Must be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in good academic standing.
- Must have a declared major within the following departments: Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Computer Science, Geosciences, Mathematics and Statistics, and Physics and Astronomy.
- Will continue to be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student in a degree program in the College of Science in the academic year following the summer of the award.
- Identify and receive a commitment from a faculty member who shall supervise the student’s summer research project. The commitment is verified by the faculty member’s signature on the application form.
Conditions for awards
Each award recipient must:
- Join the Battelle Scholars Group on LinkedIn so as to be able to communicate with other Battelle scholars. The Battelle Scholars page is located at: https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7464689.
- Submit a thank you letter to Battelle
- Follow Battelle on Facebook
- Provide a brief progress report to the Dean of the College of Science at the conclusion of the project.
- Students will be encouraged to attend any event set up by Battelle, such as tours of the Battelle facility in Richmond (Blue Grass Chemical Agent Destruction Pilot Plant), talking with the research staff, or other interaction activities.
- Battelle would also like to hear from each awardee personally as to their academic plans, activities, and career goals, as well as what the scholarship means to them.
- Any presentations or publications arising from the work supported by this award shall acknowledge Battelle’s support.